Step aside, store-bought potato chips! These simple, homemade chips will satisfy your crunchy and salty cravings without compromising your healthy diet.
It takes only 6 ingredients to make these crispy sweet and salty chips, and they pair perfectly with dips like Overnight Cashew “Cheese” Sauce. Or, pile them high with beans, sauteed onions, jalapenos and guacamole to make healthy vegetarian nachos!
Homemade Sweet Potato Chips
Servings: 3-4 snack-sized portions
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Preheat the oven to 425°F
- Using a chef’s knife or mandolin, cut the sweet potatoes into very thin slices (about 1/8 inch)
- Arrange the sweet potato slices in a single layer on 1-2 baking sheets (see photo below), making sure they’re not overlapping (this will cause the potatoes to steam, which will prevent them from becoming crunchy)
- Drizzle with olive oil, then sprinkle with a healthy pinch of salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder
- Bake for 10 minutes, turning the pan around halfway through to help them bake evenly
- Continue baking for another 5-15 minutes, checking every 2 minutes to see if any chips are ready to come out of the oven. They will be ready when the bottoms are dark golden brown, and the edges are crisp
- As the chips are ready to come out of the oven, transfer them to a plate (in a single layer) to cool
- Best when served immediately. They’ll keep for 1-2 days in the refrigerator, but they’ll lose their crunchiness within a few hours of baking
Note: We keep a very close eye on the chips during the last 10 minutes of cooking, removing them one at a time as they reach the perfect crispness. Some chips will be ready before the others, and they’ll burn easily if left in the oven for too long. This part takes some time and attention, but it’s worth the effort!