It’s snack time! When Tyler first introduced me to “Fancy” Popcorn, I was skeptical. Why would you put spices on popcorn? In my mind, popcorn had two flavor options: Cardboard or Fake Butter Flavor.
But it doesn’t have to be that way! Add a dash of this and a pinch of that, and suddenly popcorn becomes exciting!
My biggest piece of advice is to start with organic popcorn (or all-natural, if organic isn’t available). Food manufacturers sneak additives and artificial flavorings into most packaged popcorn, and you don’t want to end up eating a science experiment. As a rule of thumb, look at the ingredients on the label, and don’t eat anything with ingredients that are hard to pronounce or that sound “sciency”.
Enough preaching. Let the munching begin!
Servings: About 3 servings
- 3 oz bag organic popcorn (or about 15 cups of plain, air-popped popcorn)
- 1-2 TBL extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (if the popcorn isn’t already salted)
- Prepare the popcorn as instructed on the packaging
- Transfer to a large bowl and drizzle with the olive oil. Stir gently to distribute
- Add the spices and stir well to evenly coat the popcorn
- Feel free to add more spices to taste, and enjoy!